Tuesday, November 17, 2009

2012 box office leader this week...I'm not surprised

Now don't get me wrong, I do like " some " action films, it has a lot to do with the story, the filmmaking team behind it and the actors involved.
I go see some films I am reluctant to see, because I have a movie site and I want to have a base upon my opinion about a certain film, and with 2012 I wasn't exactly running to the ticket gate. I knew in my mind exactly what I was in for and I wasn't wrong.
That is because I feel the disaster genre has been done enough. Sure the visuals are always interesting to witness. But for 2 hours straight ? It's scary to me that these are the kind of films that make the most at the box office. What does that say about the people ? That people like watching things be destroyed and blown up is what is the popular choice to get people to the theater ? Like a friend said to me in a e-mail, how many times did we have to see concrete cracking ? And the cheesy speeches and dialogue. I'm with ya brotha !
My favorite flick this past weekend was Pirate Radio. Go figure, it didn't even crack the top 10. And 2012 made 65 million in the U.S. alone. I liked The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and Star Trek, but I feel those are rarities and their franchise are viable. But nothing can compare to "REAL " filmmaking not set behind a green screen, but instead a real shoot on location. I identify with those kind of films more.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Started to really pay attention to film ( movies ) what was going on in front of the camera, but more interestingly, behind it as well at about as far back as age 10. Motion pictures ( when good ) are a fascinating medium. All the work and prep that goes into filmmaking. It's an amazing process !