Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Oscar issues: The snubs






Avatar, The Hurt Locker and Inglourious Basterds lead the Oscar's this year, in a ceremony that I could care less more about than any previous year. To me, I feel the was one of the weaker years in film. OK... as always in every year, there are going to be movies and performances we felt got snubbed for a nomination.Now, let me get to it...

Best Picture

I would NOT have nominated The Blind Side, An Education, Precious, A Serious Man or Up. Instead I would have replaced those with Crazy Heart, The Hangover, In The Loop, The Messenger and Nine. I don't care what the critics say, I thought Nine was a very good film and fun experience and I'm not a big fan of musicals either. The critics went on a witch hunt for some reason.

Best Actor- Only two nominated would stay on my list, as I would jettison Morgan Freeman ( a lot of the time he's playing Morgan Freeman being himself ) I thought Anthony Mackie was better than Jeremy Renner in The Hurt Locker. And I'd put Daniel Day-Lewis instead of Colin Firth because he did something he has never done before for the role and pulled it off. Everybody else just did a normal character anyone could do. Singing and dancing is not something every actor can do. Or if not DDL, Viggo Mortensen for The Road or Ben Foster in The Messenger. Top notch acting in those latter roles.

Best Actress- I'm sorry, I know I may sound insensitive but I don't think Gabourey Sidibe for Precious put in a top 5 performance. I thought Emily Blunt in The Young Victoria and Abbie Cornish in Bright Star really did finer performances. It seemed to me that Sidibe was channeling something she has always felt and dealt with, so I didn't view that as much of a stretch acting wise.

Best Supporting Actor- I don't really have too much a beef with this category. Maybe I could swap out Matt Damon for Clifton Collins Jr in Sunshine Cleaning but I can live with these picks.

Best Supporting Actress- I would swap out Vera Farmiga for Emily Blunt in Sunshine Cleaning. And they got the wrong female from Nine. It should be Marion Cotillard in that nod instead of Cruz.

Best Director- I really don't have a problem with any of these choices. I could make a argument for Owen Moverman for The Messenger. Nice to see Tarantino to pick up a nod.

I felt Crazy Heart got shafted for not getting a Original Screenplay nomination.

I think Dion Beebe got snubbed big tim. How can you be nominated in the Cinematography Guilds ( The ASC Awards ) and also virtually make the cut in every precursor award up to the Oscar's and not get nominated ? That's laughable. Nine had awesome cinematography.

Precious got a editing nomination ? Over Star Trek, Nine, The Road and Up In The Air ? Please.

The Road got ripped for not getting a Art Direction nod.

Usually I get excited for the Oscar's but not this year. The ONLY reason I will watching this year is because I will be in two Oscar pool's for prizes. I really think this was a down year in film. And once again, these nominations got put out of the sails with most of these nominations were predicted months ago.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Started to really pay attention to film ( movies ) what was going on in front of the camera, but more interestingly, behind it as well at about as far back as age 10. Motion pictures ( when good ) are a fascinating medium. All the work and prep that goes into filmmaking. It's an amazing process !