Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Carey Mulligan for Eliza Doolittle in My Fair Lady remake ?





Well, you might be aware of this news, or you might not. So if you are not, after the reported drop out from Keira Knightley in the remake of the film My Fair Lady, it is now heavily rumored that Carey Mulligan ( hot off her Oscar nomination in An Education ) will play the role as Eliza Doolittle, that was famously portrayed by Audrey Hepburn in 1964.

This makes me just want to say enough already. I don't have a problem with Mulligan, I think she's a fine young actress, but enough with the re-makes already, most importantly, the classics. What do the studio heads think they are going to do... improve on it ? The orginal film won 8 Oscar's ( including actor for Rex Harrison and director for George Cukor ) That version does not need a re-visisting. It still stands as a classic and holds up well.

Usually, the logic behind a remake is to better the original ( which 90% of the time they do not ) this will be no different. If you are interested or care, John Madden ( Shakespeare In Love ) will be in the director's chair for this version. I'm shaking my head with question marks. Once again I ask myself why Hollyweird ?

1 comment:

Terry R said...

I've never seen the original 'My Fair Lady', so I have absolutely no interest in seeing a remake.
I would like to comment on the re-make craze though - I am in total agreement for the most part. I was looking forward to 'The Wolfman' and couldn't have been more disappointed by the stupidity of the re-make. There are exceptions, I'd say the recent 'Taking Of Pelham 123' was a worthwhile effort & I've always harped on the fact that no one has been savvy enough to realize that a modern retelling of Moby Dick is sorely needed since the original's cardboard whale was so cheesy. I'm more inclined to call for a halt of sequels. But the damn things made millions, so we can't really blame Hollyweird, can we? If the sheep see something they've seen before, they'll keep going back, won't they?

About Me

My photo
Started to really pay attention to film ( movies ) what was going on in front of the camera, but more interestingly, behind it as well at about as far back as age 10. Motion pictures ( when good ) are a fascinating medium. All the work and prep that goes into filmmaking. It's an amazing process !